Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Hello fellow citizens of the First World and beneficiaries of modernized medicine!

My name is William "Taylor" Farrington and I am a biomedical engineering student at Texas A&M University and an aspiring physician. The purpose of this blog is to detail my experiences daily as a training, hospital-employed biomedical engineer working in and around Kigali, Rwanda, Africa for the summer of 2013 (May 26th - July 28th). I will be embarking on this challenging and hopefully cathartic adventure with eight other team members from my future alma mater as well as a few from the east coast, whom I have yet to meet. During my time in Rwanda I will be:

  • Studying conversational and medical French and Kinyarwanda
  • Receiving hands-on bioinstrumentation and bioanalytics training
  • Working in a hospital to
    • repair broken medical equipment and
    • build, calibrate, and integrate various modern medical technologies
  • Learning firsthand about the stark health disparities between Rwanda and the U.S.
  • Teaching preventative medicine to locals
  • And, hopefully, so much more!

What I really hope to document for the rest of the world with this daily "chronicle" of my experiences are the destitute health conditions pervading this nation and the quite literally awesome potential of technology to efficiently and gracefully combat them.


Yes. This blog is, in part, my way of remembering my experiences overseas, the way they made me feel at the time, and the lifelong convictions they effected. But what will truly make writing this blog worthwhile is the knowledge that globally-conscious individuals like you are returning daily to gain more insight into the world as it is without the gift of modern medicine and technology. Your continued desire to discover and acknowledge the medical needs of the developing world will give me hope for the First World and the Third World alike. I look forward to relating accounts of the trip preparation in the near future!

Until next time, William "Taylor" Farrington

P.s. In addition to viewing the images and videos posted here, you can find additional ones on my Facebook profile, here. A link directly to the album will, of course, come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment